OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE WALKABOUT ONION SOUP
• 4 large sweet onions, sliced thin
• 2 tbsp of butter
• 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup of white wine
• 4 cups of beef broth
• 2 cups of chicken broth
• 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
• 1/4 tsp of ground black pepper
• 1/4 tsp of dried thyme
• 4 slices of French bread, toasted
• 2 cups of shredded Swiss cheese
• 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
• In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until the onions are golden brown and caramelized.
• Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir well to combine. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
• Pour the white wine into the pot, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom. Add the beef broth, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, and thyme. Stir well to combine.
• Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
• To serve, ladle the soup into oven-safe bowls. Top each bowl with a slice of toasted French bread, and sprinkle generously with shredded Swiss cheese and grated Parmesan cheese.
• Broil the soup in the oven for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Leave a Reply